Amongst the other staffers here at Ridge/Monte Bello, there has been a lot of anticipation about Cecilia Aguilar’s answers to the Official Ridge-ite 20 Questions Questionnaire; for a couple of reasons. One, Cecilia has a very unique relationship to Ridge, to Monte Bello Road, and to the mountain itself. And two, I think it’s more than safe to say that in her capacity as Customer Service Supervisor, Cecilia runs a very, very, very, very, very tight ship (I for one am consistently in awe of how hard she works, and how good she is!), so the chance to peek inside to see what makes her tick is a fascinating opportunity for all of us. I’m sure you’ll agree, and that said, let’s check out her answers!
The Official Ridge-ite 20 Questions Questionnaire
1. Can you briefly describe the first time you remember “consciously” drinking a bottle of wine (meaning, you were aware of what you were tasting, and to what extent you were enjoying it)?
At a friend’s house sitting on their patio chatting about good old times and I had brought over a bottle of Ridge…I just can’t remember the vintage, but it was Lytton Springs.
2. Who first “turned you on” to drinking good wine?
3. Do you remember the first time you tried a wine from Ridge? (What was it, where did you try it, etc.)
At my uncle’s house…I was young and wasn’t very impressed, because I didn’t know much about wine.
4. When did you first realize you had an interest in wine that went beyond that of the “casual” consumer?
After I started tasting wines from different regions and started making comparisons.
5. What was your first job “in the industry?”
Working in wholesale at Ridge.
6. When did you first join Ridge, and what led you here?
My dad works for Ridge…started in 2003 as a summer part-time job. Graduated and then took on full time position.
7. If you had to pick, is there one Ridge wine that you prefer above all others?
This is a difficult question, but I always enjoy Geyserville…old and young.
8. Do you have a favorite food and wine pairing?
Good ol’ steak and zinfandel.
9. If you could have any Ridge wine, served with any meal, cooked by any chef, with any companion, anywhere in the world, what would you select?
Probably an older Monte Bello somewhere in Spain, with beautiful music in the background and with my husband of course!
10. Is there a common “myth” or “belief” or supposed “truism” in the world of wine that you’d like to take the opportunity to debunk? (white wines only with fish, wine is made in the winery, alcohol levels in California are too high, the 100-pt wine rating scale is obsolete, etc.)
Good rating doesn’t mean it’s a good wine.
11. Outside of California, what is your wine region of choice?
12. When you’re not drinking wine, what is your beverage of choice?
Beer and/or tequila.
13. If you could have any other job in the food/wine industry then the one you have now, what would it be?
Something to do with wholesale.
14. Wine & Cheese, or Wine & Chocolate?
I go for both.
15. What has been the best wine experience to date in your life? (Where were you, who were you with, what did you drink, etc.)
With all my friends in Monterey when I turned 25 – we had various wines that I enjoyed.
16. What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever seen happen in a wine tasting room?
Haven’t worked much in the tasting room….although have heard some interesting comments between couples.
17. What do you consider to be the five most important items in your fridge right now?
Beer, yogurt, tomatoes, eggs, cilantro, mushrooms.
18. If you could offer one piece of advice to someone who is interested in getting a job in the wine industry, what would it be?
It’s very fun…but then there is the ‘other’ side of the coin…clean-up.
19. How do you feel about the “aroma wheel”?
It helped me when I first started getting into wine.
20. What’s the desktop photo on your computer?